Sunday, November 6, 2011

killing my first deer ever with my Lee


Soooo i killed my first deer this past weekend. Oh the excitement. Oh the thrill. Oh the emotions. Oh my gosh i did it. I killed an animal with much much much of lee's help but otherwise all by my very self. 

Let me take you back... The alarm went of at 5:25, i did not want to get out of my cozy bed. Now looking back i'm so glad i did. I had a funny, dizzy tummy ache the whole ride to the spot from waking up so fast and early, in my head i was like grrreat i'm going to be either peuking or pooping my pants out here and lee will not be so happy with me. He was very caring about the tummy issue though and as it turns out the fresh, fast blowing winds did me lots of good. Bye bye tummy ache, here we come deers. 

So we trudged our way out there in the pitch blackness, me trying to keep up as best i could with lee because i am not the biggest fan of walking through the woods in darkness all by my lonesome and boy is he is a very fast walker even while carrying loads of equipment. I thought the walk was never going to end, it did. Lee got us all situated and we hopped into the very warm temperatured blind. It was the warmest hunt for us yet, even though it was also the windiest. Normally the cold makes me a not so happy camper, but this time was a different feeling we had high hopes after seeing 2 shooting stars on the way in. By the way I forgot to mention that this was my 3rd year going after those sneaky deer with lee. 

Right away while still too dark to shoot we saw a doe and a little while afterward what we thought may have been a buck, it was too dark to tell. I wanted to get em' so badly. I was already satisfied. Just seeing them (and not squirrels) so up close and personal is an adrenaline rush in itself. After that excitement my nose got cold so i pulled my hat down over my nostrils and started to take a little nappy poo. I don't know how long lapsed by but all of a sudden i hear lee "wake up, wake up" in his excited urgent matter voice at first i thought he was being a booger just interrupting my sleep but this time it was the real deal

And well, I wear contacts and after sleeping they dry up = not good. Trying to get all set up with a sleepy face on was not what i had planned on. Oops. And there was the deer so close to us. Lee told me about 4 times to wait till it turned broadside before shooting, each time i responded with an enlightening "i can't see out the scope" because my eyes were so dried up :/ he was shaking, i was shaking our hearts were a beating. The whole black out eye thing was not helping the situation. Mr. deer walking a little closer, turned to just the right angle for me to point, aim, & shoot. 

Kapowww. One shot right through the heart. My first shot not at a target of some sort and it couldn't have been more perfect. The deer did almost a back flip and dropped dead instantly. Big screams followed the kill which is a no no in hunting land woopsies again. High fives were next. Then very exciting "i did it lee's", "i killed my first deer", then came the tears of joy, followed by "we don't have to get up early anymore"(favorite thing) & "it didn't even hurt my shoulder" (one of my biggest fears).  It was a roller coaster of emotions, i really couldn't believe what had just happened. 

The best part is that i was with my very best friend. Lee is such a patient man both for me and his deer. He doesn't give up and fall asleep on them like me. I do have to give a big shout out to my dad for instilling the "hunting genes" in me and talking me through my tears and fears as best he could back in the day. For a girl who cried at hunter safety i never thought this day would come. But that's the beauty of God's plan. He has led me to lee and changed up my girly girl ways. Love is about making sacrifices, or else you're not really loving. I enjoy being with lee doing what he is so very passionate about, it's even now becoming a hobby of mine. 

I love my first deer kill adventure so much and thanks to lee it's a memory we'll both never ever forget as he captured the whole thing on video for his outdoor filming company True Calling Outdoors. I'm an even luckier girl. Anyone want to come over for movie night, just let us know! Gosh i still can't believe it. So many thank yous to my leland john. Let's go get another one soon ;) 

hope everyone else had a splendid weekend and maybe even killed some deers of your own.
smile :) 
A, the Deer Slayer






you can "like" True Calling on Facebook here!
visit their website here

3 comments:

  1. Looks very good Ali. Very proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks so much for reading justin! it was an exciting day in the life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go! My hunting party of five got three deer, but, alas and alack, I wasn't one of them. I will be going out again next week.

    ReplyDelete